Sunscreen - Why Is It So Important?
I'm sure if you're a skincare lover, you have definitely heard at some point how important sunscreen is. There is a reason that you keep hearing that and it's because sunscreen is very important! The darker your skin is the more protection you will need. Sunscreen protects your skin from the harmful UV rays caused by the sun. It also can help slow down the process of aging and help with premature wrinkles. Sunscreen should be applied to your face along with your neck and collarbone. Even your hands! The reason why is because these parts of your body are the fastest to age. Sunscreen is especially important for people with sensitive skin and who suffer from conditions such as hyper-pigmentation or eczema. If sunscreen is not used at all or correctly then you can run the risk of worsening your skin conditions or eventually causing skin cancer.
How Do I Use Sunscreen?
- Make sure you have properly cleansed your face from any excessive dirt or oils.
- After moisturizing, take your sunscreen of choice ( with an SPF of 30 or higher ) and apply long lines of it along three fingers.
- Apply the sunscreen to your face, making sure your face is fully coated with the product.
- Your face should look completely covered and white with the sunscreen during this stage. After applying, fully massage product into your skin while making sure to apply to outer edges of face.
- Don't forget to apply to your neck and collarbone!
Which Sunscreen Is Right For Me?
When you are looking for a sunscreen and you are someone with more pigmented skin or melanin, then you definitely want to search for one with a higher SPF. You should be using a sunscreen with an SPF 30 or higher. When determining the right one specifically for you, it honestly depends on trial and error. Black girl sunscreen is an excellent choice in sunscreen due to its moisturizing and protective properties. You want to try to stay away from sunscreen with white cast and look for something with excellent absorbing abilities.
Chemical Vs. Mineral Sunscreen
Mineral Sunscreen is known to have a better effect for people with more sensitive skin. "physical" or "mineral" sunscreen offers more UV protection. Look for mineral sunscreens containing Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide to help block harmful UV rays. Physical or mineral sunscreen also sit on top of your skin to block
rays on the surface on your skin. Chemical sunscreen generally takes some time to work on your skin. It absorbs into it, which can clog pores but it is still extremely lightweight! Many people recommend using both on your skin but it ultimately depends on which one you are most comfortable with!
- You only need to wear sunscreen if you are going outside. - This is not true. If you are going to be anywhere near or exposed to sunlight, you need to apply your sunscreen. That includes sitting by a window all day!
- My moisturizer has SPF, do i still need to wear sunscreen? - Yes, it is important that you apply each skincare product separately. Each one has specific functions designed for your skin. Moisturizer is specifically designed for moisturizing your skin.
- Do I only have to apply sunscreen in the morning before I go to work. - Sunscreen often wears off after a while, so it is very important to make sure that you are reapplying sunscreen every couple of hours.
Black Girl Sunscreen, www.blackgirlsunscreen.com/.
Rostamian, Michelle, and Devin Hopp. “Natural Isn't Always Better: What You Don't Know About Sunscreen .” Byrdie.com, 9 June 2020, www.byrdie.com/natural-sunscreen-chemical-sunscreen.